Saturday, February 24, 2007

diapers, schmiapers

Hi, my name is Jill, and I'm a country music binge-listener.
There. I said it. My secret is out. No more blackmail letters in the mail.

So any way there's this song that has been stuck in my head all day. "Watching You" by Rodney Atkins. It's about a dad realizing just how much is little boy sees. I like the lyrics more than the tune, but it's a fun song. Specifically, here's the part that's been buzzing around in my head all morning:

...I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are
We like fixing things and holding mama's hand
Yeah we're just alike, hey ain't we dad
I wanna do everything you do
So I've been watching you


Now, this song has always reminded me of Nick and Connor; they really are exactly like this. Take today, for instance. Nick is in New Orleans running the Mardi Gras Marathon this weekend, so Connor and I are on our own. This morning, in order to get a few minutes alone to shower and get dressed, I popped Connor's newest TV obsession into the DVD player. (yeah, bad mamma, I know). As usual, this plan works for several seconds and then...pitter patter...down the hall, he follows me to see what I'm doing.

This in and of itself is not unusual. He follows Nick and I into the bathroom all the time, however, he didn't yell for me or open the shower curtain like he usually does. Instead, I hear him put up both the toilet cover and seat. I peek out the curtain so that he can't see me and I see him standing there...making believe he's peeing! He's standing in front of the toilet (not his potty), his little legs spread apart and he's got the front of his pants and diaper pulled down as far as he can get them (not quite far enough). When he notices me peeking at him, he says "pee-pee". He then slams down the toilet seat cover and flushes the toilet.

Almost 2 years ago, I was worried that his squishy little newborn head would fall off when I was putting his shirt on, now he's emulating a dude at a urinal. Talk about time flying!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg, the tick. lol. i haven't thought of that in years and years and years. you'll have to tell henning that the next time you communicate with him.

cute kid story!

how did the marathon go?