Friday, February 02, 2007

gripe gripe gripe

The other day I was reading Lea's blog and I swear her most recent post could've been written by me. Or anyone with a kid or kids. To quote my beautiful, wise and articulate friend...
"Why is it that when you're a mama, your choices seem to so often revolve around peace or sleep. quiet time to yourself or sleep. working out or sleep. clean house or sleep. a well organized life or sleep. "

You said it, sista! Somebody buy that woman a spa package!!!!!

I have worked way too much these past few weeks and have taken approximately 13.2 minutes of me-time in the last month. Okay, slight exaggeration, but it feels like that... Or maybe I have the winter grumbles. That's probably closer to the truth.

I'm supposed to be training for the Indianapolis 500 training series. It's a series of progressively longer road-races, the first (and shortest) of which is next weekend. I haven't gotten out for a good run in almost a week. It's nobody's fault, really, we've just been so busy...but it sucks feeling pulled in so many directions. Our local YMCA has a daycare program, but leaving Connor there terrifies him beyond belief. For some stupid reason, they won't let us stay in the daycare area with him while he gets used to it. They want me to just drop him off and go. Yeah, aside from the fact that I'm not going to be able to unwind after just dumping Connor on people I don't even know, he cries the entire time. We've twice left him for a 10-minute test run and he clung to one of the daycare workers like his life depended on it. And he wailed...oh he wailed. I can't let my boy 'just cry it out' in his own bed...they expect me to let him cry with a stranger?!? We're working on getting him a bit better about meeting new people but we don't see a reason to torture him for a 30 minute jaunt on the treadmill. So there went quite a few after-work trips to the gym for a few miles 'round the track.

I did get a chance to get out tonight, and I got in maybe a mile and a half before I gave up and headed home. Out of practice, gotta taper back up slowly. In the past, I've always started running and gotten frustrated with it and given up. I think the key (or one of the keys) is to take it slowly and stop when it's not fun. So that's what I did tonight. Slow shuffle around the track until I got bored. Then I headed home. I'm hoping that once I finally get some cold-weather gear, I can run on the great running trails we've got nearby. Change of scenery will do me good, methinks....and I need new running music again! I had some really great mixes made for me when I was training for the Komen 3-day, but I think it's time for a new rotation. (hint hint)
Oh, and I want this...

but I want them to install a kick-ass camera in it, first.

No comments: