Screw you, sentimentality!
Disclaimer: I'm not normally prone to being overly-sentimental. Sure, I like a cute kitten as much as the next girl, but generally I express most of my feelings with sarcasm. Since sarcasm really isn't appropriate for sentimentality, it's generally an emotion I skip altogether.
So I'm driving home from with Connor this morning after about an hour or two of Christmas shopping and we're yelling, being silly, and and generally carrying-on in the car. Then some unknown, twangy, country-Christmas song comes on the radio and it's all about going home and seeing your family for the holidays. Feel-good kinda song with a catchy chorus, so we're singing along, (Connor is making up his own verses and choruses as we go). Having fun and I'm thinking about the week we just spent in New York with my family. Okay, warm-fuzzy, but nothing rediculous. Since I've landed on a country-music station, the next song is the deal-breaker. It's all about a dad who overhears his little girl praying for an abused girl she knows. Yeah. So by the time I pull into the garage, I'm bawling. Thinking about how lucky I am, how wonderful Connor and Nick are...generally being a puddle of girlie-girl. Poor Connor doesn't know why the hell I'm all sniffly and watery as I take him out of his car-seat and give him a bear hug. He probably just thinks I'm insane.
THEN...
We walk into the house. In my absence, Rubik clearly discovered something delicious-smelling in the garbage can and he seems to have been removing everything in the can and depositing it allllll over my kitchen floor. Poor mutt was standing at the door with an "oh shit" look on his face. I just had to laugh. Nothing else I could do at that point, I just walked over, opened the door and let him outside; he ran like his tail was on fire, I might add.
Ho-ho-effin-ho.

No comments:
Post a Comment