Sunday, July 16, 2006

Goin' Turtlin'

Connor and I were on our own again today, so we decided to go hiking at Griffy Lake Nature Preserve.
So we pull into the parking lot and immediately see a big ole Chevy and a moped parked by the water. "Looks like some good-ole boys doing some fishing", I say to myself. We went for a nice long, uneventful hike. Saw some geese (Connor likes to scream at these) and pulled on some tree-limbs.. a good time had by all. Upon our return, the guys are still fishing, Connor notices the bright shiny moped and makes a bee-line for it. The guys mumbled a hello and seemed nice enough, so I figured he could go be friendly. As were approaching, I notice two big 'somethings' sitting there on the ground next to the moped. Theyre covered with mud and theres a swarm of flies...turns out theyre turtles. HUGE turtles. One of them has his head bashed in (fresh red blood which is probably whats attracting the flies) one of the guys yells {this must be read is if you're Boomhauer}
"Hey, don lettim near them turtles. Theys dead, but they c'n still bite". Um yeah, okay. So I thank him for his concern and steer Connor away from the corpses. I say something like 'yuk' or 'gross' and he replies "they look bad, but theyre good eatin!". We all have a good laugh and Connor and I head back to the car. As were getting into his car-seat, I notice that Mr. Moped is leaving. So, he picks up the biggest turtle (were talking like 1 ½ foot diameter shell) and puts it belly-down on the floor of his scooter, where his feet go. Then he bends over and picks up the smaller turtle (maybe 1 diameter, still not small) and I see the gears turning in his little noggin, wondering what hes going to do now. Looks at the turtle, looks at his lap, then looks back at the turtle, back at his lap.So he yells to his friends "Hey, whatm I gunna do with this'n"? To which his friend responds without batting an eye, "Putim in yer seat". So, Mr. Moped gets off the scooter, flips up his seat (where the helmet is usually stored) and drops in the dead turtle. He fires up his ride and heads off, presumably to make some stew. Do I need a better reason to love Indiana? Who wants to visit first???

No comments: